Saturday, January 12, 2013

Best of ‘Not Forgotten Favorites’ for 2012


Best of ‘Not Forgotten Favorites’ for 2012

My Personal Favorites of 2012
I’ve done it before and it’s sort of standard fare to see a lot of food bloggers ‘Best of the Year’ lists to wrap-up the year. I did one last year. That list started with the first cocktail that I made for what would become my Friday Cocktail series but that methodology has weighed on me a bit and that post is easily one reason why. That drink, the Vootbeer, was never MY favorite, not by a long shot. It was fun, sure, but come on…rootbeer and vodka? OK, even with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry? It’s been pinned a bazillion times, mostly by young girls who have to insist it get made with Whipped Cream Vodka. Sacrilege I say! So I decided to do something a bit different this year and went Archive digging to shed the light of day on some of my long term favorites. Maybe they were posted when I first started blogging (so the photo might be a bit sucky) or maybe for some reason they just never got any traction..but they are all great dishes and they NEED to be noticed and more importantly? Made.

Bacon, Brown Sugar, Chili Powder and Cayenne Pepper Pretzel Rods

bacon-pretzel-rods-unbaked
First up are those darlings featured above. Crisp pretzel, chewy bacon, brown sugar, chili powder and cayenne pepper are baked and the end result is a sum much greater than the parts…but really the parts are pretty fabulous. Anyone saying bacon is dead…have them come talk to me!

Cranberry Ginger Fizz Cocktail

cranberry-cocktail-candle
OK, I lied, sorry. This cocktail was not forgotten but it was the best.  It is the single most popular post on my site and though I’m happy with the photo too (I even won an award with it!), the truth is I also love this drink. Sweet and tart and fizzy…it is almost the perfect cocktail from fall as soon as cranberries are available thru January but it’s just especially suited for Christmas…perfectly pretty all dressed up in red and green! It has been pinned and copied and posted all over the web and with some irony and maybe a sign of’ popularity? It was recently submitted to a photo group I belong to on G+ where we share our photos and ask for constructive criticism. Except it was submitted by someone I don’t know! It’s a true keeper.

Carrot Ginger Soup with Chile Butter

carrot-ginger-soup
I had carrots one day so thought I would make some soup. No biggie right? But this soup is THE BOMB. That little sphere of butter and some salty peanuts makes more than a world of different. Easy, satisfying, just a bit spicy; I LOVE this soup.

 Massimo Bruno’s Popette D’uova

Egg balls cropped
Eggs, cheese, breadcrumbs and spices are rolled into spheres and fried in olive oil and then covered with a simple tomato sauce. The ease of this dish belies how good they are. As in I made some for company as appetizers and ended up in the kitchen making another batch while guests waited; they were devoured!

 Lemon Drop Vanilla Bean Martini from D Bar Desserts

lemon-drop-single
I had this cocktail at a local restaurant and I’m not sure I’ve ever been quite so determined to get a recipe as I was for this. Pulpy and sweet with a touch of  lime too, it puts to shame any other Lemon Drop Martini I’ve ever had. The technique seems weird but the end result is fantastic. I now use the same process to make lemonade and limeade if I’m in the mood for something non-alcoholic.

Bisteca ala Panzano’s

panzanos

This is amazing. It’s from one of my treasured Junior League of Denver cookbooks and I served it to a group of local friends I had met through Twitter. Pesto, potatoes, flank steak and salad are all  layered and make for a fabulous presentation, an easy to serve dish and without a doubt one with fabulous flavor. I want this again NOW!

Blueberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

french-toast-blueberr-stuffed
Another favorite from a local Junior League cookbook; this dish is just the perfect do-ahead for a brunch, holiday or otherwise. I served it to a local group of bloggers at our first get together; you know if it was raved about there, well, it passed muster.

 Spiced Honey Brushed Chicken Thighs

chicken-honey-plate
These are far too simple to make to be so dang good. I’m serious. A mix of spices is rubbed on boneless chicken thighs. Broil one side for 5 minutes, flip and broil the 2nd side. Baste with some honey and broil 1 minute longer. THAT IS IT!! I dare you to not suffer my same fate. I stood over the stove and ate two of them before I made myself stop so there would actually be enough for dinner. Do them, your family will love you. I also believe they have the words ‘Super Bowl Party’ written all over them.

 Mexican Hot Chocolate with Tequila and Cayenne Pepper

I just posted this not too long ago but it has been so amazingly received by friends and family that I thought maybe it should be given another chance. My daughter was unimpressed by the ingredients; actually I remember feeling the same. I loved a similar type drink with hot coffee but this was taking a chance and one I’m so glad I took. Tequila is so often associated with limes and lemons but give it a shot…or two! What it does to a heated drink is only short of amazing; it gives warm a whole different meaning! Try it…you’ll see.

Lemon and Limoncello Cheesecake

cheesecake-lemon-close
Last but not least, what shall that be? I think I’ll give this spot to the dessert that is most often searched for and found on my site. I love cheesecake but not those that are filled with a lot of extras; no cookies or candy for me. This Lemon Cheesecake is divine; I think it could almost be called perfect. Light, luscious and lemony (and that limoncello part does not hurt one tiny bit!).
There you have it, ten posts that I love for different reasons…and I hope you find something you love too…Happy New Year!
Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment