Monday, July 11, 2011

India :Opinion : Corruption a curse.

Corruption is a curse on our nation: Neetu Chandra
Published: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011, 9:00 IST
By Neetu Chandra |
Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

======================================================
I would be lying if I say that I have never bribed a person to get my work done. Every Indian, at some point or the other, has been faced with a dilemma where he/she is expected to shell out money to ensure that the work gets done faster. From paying donations for school admissions to bribing attendants for faster delivery of gas cylinders, the menace has pervaded every aspect of our lives.
But now I have realised that in order to eradicate corruption from our country, we need to stop the ones who readily agree to pay bribes instead of punishing individuals who ask for money.

I can now say with a clear conscience that I refuse to pay a bribe, no matter what the situation is.

Only recently, when my car was badly damaged due to heavy rain, I sent my driver with the vehicle to the service centre for repair. However, the insurance manager kept on giving excuses so that the insurance claim fell through. 
This was an indirect hint that he wanted a bribe. I did not want to encourage the practice, so I decided to get repair the car by paying the entire amount from my pocket.

It is high time all of us made a conscious decision to stay away from this menace and refuse to pay or accept bribes. We need to realise that corruption is a curse on our nation. High-level corruption and scams are now threatening to derail the country’s credibility as well as the economic boom.
It may be an uphill task to take the longer route and not bribe our way to get everyday things done. But in the end, it will be worth it as we will then become a nation of honest and upright people who refuse to cow down to pressure from those seeking bribes.
=====================================================================

dnaindia.com/analysis/report_corruption-is-a-curse-on-our-nation-neetu-chandra_1564836

No comments:

Post a Comment