Thursday, January 26, 2012


The Benefits of Meditation
Posted: 11/24/2010 | MeditationDr. Jennifer Howard - Changes That LastComments
============================================================

Are you one of those who roll out of bed in the morning scrambling for your coffee or dashing out the door to head to the office, hoping your socks match? Do you think that there’s simply no time in your crammed day to take a few moments to meditate? Or do you think that meditation is only for the yogi who sits all day on a mountaintop contemplating his navel?  
What would you say if I told you that taking a few moments every day to tune into yourself would benefit you in numerous ways?
Whether you take a few moments to pray or simply sit still, it’s been shown that meditation yields rewards physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Here are a few of those rewards:
Meditation…
…relieves stress, which leads to a deeper level of relaxation.
…reduces anxiety attacks.
…decreases muscle pain and headaches.
…lowers heart rate and blood pressure.
…decreases respiratory rate.
…helps balance brain chemistry, which aids in stabilizing mood.
…helps with depression.
…enhances the immune system. (Research has shown that meditation increases activity of ‘natural-killer cells’, which kill bacteria, funguses, parasites and cancer cells.)
…helps in dealing with personal issues.
…creates new neuronal tracks in both the prefrontal cortex as well as the mid-insular regions of the brain, which helps us change and learn.
…helps align us with higher/deeper realms.
…aids in our connection with God, Spirit, Absolute or the Universe.

Isn’t that enough to take a few moments to meditate?
In the beginning, it will take effort to remember to tune into yourself. Here’s an exercise that will hopefully help:
During the day, take a moment to pay attention to what you are thinking and notice the emotion that is attached. This will help you build consciousness and better know yourself.
Also, even in busy situations, you can become still. Here’s how: focus on breathing deeply and slowly for a minute at your desk, while standing in lines or in the shower. You will soon discover that stillness can be woven into many of your everyday tasks.
After all, isn’t good health and happiness something worth striving for? 
Have you found a way where stillness was woven into one of your everyday tasks? I welcome your comments or questions.




Comments:


terri mahler hoagland    http://goldmintpennystation.blogspot.com    Posted: 2/26/2011 6:41:15 AM
You are so right Dr. Howard. When I think of something, I need to focus on the emotion that is attached with that thinking. This is a great daily exercise that I will for sure use, thank you so much. It is so simple and easy to utilize in every day thinking & feeling. Sometimes or often when i do and do for others especially my family, I have expectations that are not being met, so I get into that self-pity thinking. And I end up hurting myself. I also continue to let others take advantage of me. One of my sisters said, "your just too easy Terri." I thought to myself, "no, everyone just takes advantage of me too much, because I allow this to happen, I am the only one that can control that." However, I continue to do and do for everyone, they only call me if they want or need something, which is all the time, I sometimes feel like their mother. I grew up playing the mother role, so my habits of today continue. Why is it so hard to just say no? And when my family visits me, they like wearing my clothes, so i end up letting them wear them, but never not once do the ever return my clothes or dishes. Every time I cook, they love taking my food home with them with my dishes. They never return any thing that they use. I love them, but my goodness this is not any fun, if you give them an inch they take a mile.
When I invite G_d Most High into my life through prayer, meditation, and conversation, I open myself to infinite possibilities.
"Today, I will take the time to cultivate that thinking and emotion that is attached."
Thank you for taking the time to ready this letter, May you have a nice day today and everyday.
Respectfully Yours,
Terri
Thank you and I will for sure try this daily.
Terri

terri hoagland    http://twitter.com/usabeautiuljew    Posted: 3/4/2011 6:54:08 PM
Thank you Dr. Jennifer for opening your door to me. I appreciate it.
Terri

Marie    http://spreading-joy.org    Posted: 11/26/2010 7:51:04 PM
Love this reminder Jennifer! I''m the worlds worst at this. From the time I get up till the time I go to bed, seems like I''m doing something, even multitasking.

I do take some time each morning to pray & read but as the Christmas Season approaches and things get busier, that time is beginning to be lessened.

Thanks for all you do and I the animation in your pictures.

{{HUGS}}
@spreadingJOY

Chris       Posted: 12/2/2010 1:25:38 PM
Thanks for the great post! It is hard at first to tune out everything but with practice it becomes easier and easier to get in tune with your body and relax physically and mentally. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration!

Mat    http://www.thebenefitsofmediation.com    Posted: 5/11/2011 2:45:00 PM
You hit the nail on the head with regards to us needing to take the time to do our meditation. Taking the short amount of time to do it has such a huge impact on my daily routine, that I don''t know how I went through my days before without doing it.

Thank you for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment