Saturday, June 25, 2011

Opinion



Is This Tea, or Science Fiction?

Sometimes, even healthy foods start to sound scary.
Tweet&nbps;
While making a cup of coffee at work recently, I was poking through the cabinets and found a box of tea. On it, it stated: "… contains flavonoid antioxidents. This is important because it helps protect against free radicals …" While unhealthy foods contain ingredients I can barely pronounce, like monosodium glutamate, sodium alginate and propyl gallate, healthy foods are now sounding like science fiction novels.
I can see the back of the book now.
"Alaina Johnson, newly elected president of the alien Flavonoid nation, is struggling to bring her people together in the face of a pending civil war. The country has been under attack by a rogue group of radicals (freed recently from a 12-year stay in prison.) The radicals violently oppose the nation's negative stance on Oxidents, a new race of aliens looking to find safety in the Flavonoid world. Things only become more complicated when Alaina secretly falls for the leader of the free radicals, Brant Stevens. Thus begins a compelling story of love and war."
Maybe we need to start pitting good foods and against bad and let nature take its course, kinda like celebrity death match. We could put flavonoids up against monosodium glutamate (MSG), a shunned food additive.
According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, an author and neurosurgeon, MSG is an excitotoxin, which means they are a group of excitatory amino acids that cause sensitive neurons to die. If flavoinoids are thin-skinned, then they will most surely lose to the hyperactive MSG. 
Every day now, it seems that something that was once considered good for you is now bad and vice-versa. I recently came across a list of fruits and vegetables to avoid, as they are thin-skinned and may absorb pesticides.
Being thin-skinned, I knew right away MSG would defeat them all in the celebrity death match. But I also had to wonder, if I eat enough of these fruits and vegetables, would mosquitoes leave me alone?
I think I will stick to my coffee and MSG-laden Doritos. So far, I think that might be my best bet.
=================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment