Wednesday, February 23, 2011



The very thought of someone giving or sending a get well gift is a gift within itself.  The busy world we live in dictates our lives in ways that unless we are conscientious of others and their illnesses, sending get-well wishes in the form of a card or a gift would be one of those things laid aside and forgotten.


However if you have ever been the recipient of a “get-well” card you understand the emotions it brings knowing someone took the time and effort to think of you and send a card.  And with that, it is easier to stop and do the same next time we hear of someone who may need a lift.
  1. A card – whether made by your own hand, on the computer, or hallmark, is always welcomed by one who is recuperating from a short or long illness or even surgery.  Especially one which has a hand written note of encouragement.
  2. I wonder if flowers are almost a thing of the past.  I’ve seen times when a hospital room was filled with flowers from well-wishers.  I for one still enjoy having a few flowers in the room I can take home and plant in season.
  3. Then there is a prayer journal.  Especially in church circles, when one is having surgery, to have the group record prayers in a journal to give to the patient while recuperating would be such a blessing during those times of wondering if life will ever be the same again.  This is also a great suggestion for a support group of any kind.  i.e. weight watchers, etc.
  4. After undergoing open-heart surgery recently I was visited by a young college student who looks to me as a grandparent.  It was always a delight to see her, but on one visit she brought a booklet she had made.  She apologized that it was in her “own handwriting” (which is not good, she said) She had thought about doing it on the computer, (but I was afraid it would lose what I wanted to say, she added).  I have no way to convey to you or did I to her, how precious the little decorated, handmade, book of scripture was to me at that moment on that day.  I held her hand as I read it aloud to both her and my husband, then prayed a special prayer for her that God would give her insight into what her gesture had done to my healing heart.
  5. I’m not sure I can speak from a man’s prospective in “get well” ideas.  My husband seems to remember the gift of someone’s time as much as anything.  Stopping by after he got home was a very important signal to him that his friends cared.  Flowers?   Yes.  Knowing that his company cared enough to send flowers.  However the visitors who called on the phone to check on him along with those who visited mean a great deal to him in his healing.
  6. One thing that has blessed me during my regaining my health from heart surgery is the fact my church family delivered meals every other day.  My pastor’s wife even came a cleaned my refrigerator and got my kitchen in order while she visited.  Nothing like the feeling of someone who cares enough to go the extra mile.
  7. In lieu of flowers, there is always the fruit basket.
  8. Or the “gift” basket.  A basket filled with healthful snacks, along with “chicken soup” booklets, a prayer journal and a packet of flower seed to be planted later in a house container.
  9. Let’s look at gifts for children who are getting well from an illness.  According to age of course, coloring books and crayons, to drawing paper to a jar of bubbles can brighten a child’s world like nothing else.  There is always a gift certificate to McDonalds or Burger King to boot!
  10. Then again, any age appropriate gift basket leaves open room for thought on the giver’s part to fill it with gifts pertinent to the receiver’s life.  Gift baskets do not have to be assembled by a specialty store – it can be done by you the one whose friend (whatever age) is in need of a boost and encouragement.
Whatever you do, just remember in most every case, it is the thought that counts.
(source:changeofaddress.org)
=================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment